Sunday, July 08, 2012

Cast #1

Thursday, April 19th Matt was on Spring Break and decided that he wanted to golf (I know, shocker right?) so he called my brother Jeff to see if he wanted to go since he didn't have work that day.  Problem - I had work and he had Daniel.  But Shannon, Jeff's wife, said that she would watch him, take the boys to the park and what not.  Imagine my surprise when during my meeting after school, I see Shannon calling me.  I ignored the call at first thinking, "oh I'll call her when the meeting ends" but when she called back I realized, "crap she has my kid and knows that I can't normally just answer my phone at work."  She begins the conversation with "You know I wouldn't call you at work unless it was an emergency."  I'm sufficiently freaked out now!  Turns out that when they were at the park, Daniel was climbing on the jungle gym and fell.  He was upset and scratched up so Shannon cleaned him up, kissed owies, the usual and then he went back to playing.  But a few minutes later, he was sitting up on the playground acting lethargic.  When Shannon went to see what was wrong he was holding his wrist and wouldn't let her touch it.  She put ice on it and then brought him to me.  He could move his wrist and squeeze my finger just fine so I thought it was probably just sprained but I took him to urgent care anyways.  When we got there he had an x-ray and sure enough his wrist was broken.  It was his right wrist on the bigger bone.  The doctor said it was a clean break, not on a growth plate so it was the best kind of break we could hope for I guess.  While we were waiting on the doctor to come back in after the x-ray he completely passed out.  He didn't even wake up when the nurse wrapped his arm or when I took him to the car.  When I put him in his seat, he woke up kind of and he freaked out that something was on his arm.  This was him on our way home, not too happy.  He actually told Matt that mommy made him take this picture.
The following Monday, we took him to the orthopedic surgeon and she said that he would be in a cast for 5 weeks.  Before going we talked about what color he wanted his cast to be and was VERY specific about what color he wanted.  He even decided to wear his blue shirt to show the doctor what color he wanted, just in case "blue" wasn't enough.  You know those doctors aren't very smart...



He wouldn't let people write on his cast until uncle TJ was in town and TJ wanted to sign it.  I'm pretty sure he would do anything TJ said (which concerns me considering it sounds a lot like TJ and John) so then Daniel was ok with people signing it.  When we went to Colorado for Taylor's graduation, even more people signed it.  At church Lindsay mentioned to Colton that it was cool that Becca gets to be FAB (favorite aunt Becca) and she would just be FAL which is lame.  Then Colton said that he would be FUC.  So when he signed the cast he wrote on the cast he signed it FU Colton.  When we got back and people asked him who signed his cast he said "F you Colton."  Ya.  I would have stopped him but it was funny so he told lots of people that FU Colton signed his cast.  He actually had it taken off at 6 weeks because 5 weeks was Memorial Day weekend and the doctor had a weird schedule so he got it taken off on Wednesday June 6th.  He was very intrigued about them taking it off and wasn't scared but actually laughed!




Yay!  I have it off now!  I'm sure there will be more casts to follow as this kid gets bigger and crazier!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Doctors are so dumb! Good thing he wore his blue shirt or they may have given him the wrong color! Also, FUC may be the funniest thing I have ever thought of during sacrament meeting! I'm so innappropriate!