Monday, July 09, 2007

Great Grandpa, Great Man



My great grandpa Shumaker passed away early this evening. It was a sad moment when we got the call. He was 97 years old and up until about a year ago was still walkin around like nothing. He lived a long, fulfilling life, married to the woman of his dreams for 69 years. As long as I've known him, he's always seemed younger than he was, being that he was up working on his roof in his 80s. He was always doing something and he was loved by everyone who knew him. He was also a convert to the church. One of my favorite stories is about when he was taking the discussions. My Grandpa Shu smoked a pipe back before his baptism. When the missionaries gave him the lesson on the Word of Wisdom, he got up out of his chair and threw away his pipe and tobacco. He was just that kind of man. It's a odd kind of feeling really. I know that everyone had to die but I always thought he'd be around forever. I know that with the life he lived, he's got CK written all over him. I also had the image in my head of my great grandma waiting for him with that cute smile and big cheeks like she always did. Later I found out that other members of my family had the same picture in their head. It's a bittersweet moment. I'm sad that my kids won't be able to meet him but I know that he's happy where he is now and he'll be there rootin me on the rest of my life. He truly was an amazing man who was inspiration for countless people. And I know I'll be able to see him someday, which gives me a lot of comfort. We'll miss you and we love you like crazy, Grandpa Shu!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

That was so sweet! It reminds me of when my grandpa died. They sound like they are a lot alike. I'm sure they will be friends. It's always sad when someone dies, but it's great that we have to gospel to put things in perspective.

Julie said...

He's so cute! Reading that brought a tear to my eye! What a huge blessing for you to have been able to know him. Sad that he had to go but I love how you pictured your great-grandma waiting for him. I bet she was excited! I'm with Lindsay that its great to have the gospel and know that we'll see our loved ones again someday!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your great grandpa. He sounds like a great man! We are so blessed to have the gospel and know that our loved ones are re-united with family and friends when they die. I often think of my dad and who he's with and who he might be teaching and it always makes me smile.