Sunday, May 22, 2011

Matt and Tebow/Erin & Selanne

I know with a title like that you're thinking "Wow, that's awesome if they got to see/meet/talk to their favorite players!" And that would be totally awesome but that's not what happened. But in order for you to get the full effect of this post I need to go all Heinz Doofenshmirtz and start with a few back stories.




Back story #1: Early in our marriage, Matt talked about not liking animals and that we would never have a pet. Now, I've had a few pets and loved them but I'm not one of those people who HAVE to have a pet. But Matt was so anti it was a little freaky. Seriously, the only reason we have a turtle was because she was around before Matt was so he didn't have a choice. There however arose the argument about what to do if we had kittens abandoned on our lawn or something similar to that. He said he didn't care and he'd call animal control to come get them. I said I wouldn't be able to do that because if they don't get placed quickly, they just destroy them. I said that I would have to take care of them for a couple days until I found homes for them but we wouldn't have to keep them. He said absolutely not. I said he didn't have a choice in that matter because I couldn't condem poor little baby animals to die. Anyways, the conversation ended and we never landed anywhere on the topic. I mean the odds of that happening anyways were slim and none.




Back Story #2: A couple of months ago we noticed that these 2 cats would just hang out in our backyard. We'd shoo them away just about every day. Matt got pissed saying "you watch, one of them will have kittens in our backyard." Then the cats were no where to be seen for a little while.



Now to 2 weeks ago. My mom sent me a text message at school on Tuesday morning and told me that she and Daniel had found 3 kittens in our backyard: 2 calicos and one white and orange. One calico was super fluffy and a little chubby, the other calico had shorted hair and seemed to be the runt, and the white one was somewhere in between. She looked for a mommy cat (and continued to do so throughout the day) and one was not found. My mom's theory is that mom left them because they were about 6 weeks old and had been fed so she thinks that mom abandoned them and they started meowing because they were hungry. So my mom got a rag towel and a box and brought them inside to feed them. I told Matt the situation at lunch and his first sentence was "It's not my problem. I'm not taking care of them. We'll take them to the pound." A few minutes later he asked "What do they look like?" My mom sent me a picture and he got all butt hurt that she didn't send one to him. Anyways, between my mom and me, we took them to the vet and took care of them for a few days. It didn't take longer than that for the kittens to grow on Matt. Before long, he was playing with them and taking an interest in what happened with them. My mom decided that she wanted to keep the fluffy one and then Matt started taking a liking to the white one. I mean it was white and orange with blue eyes. Matt was hooked. He said we could keep that one. I had a couple of leads on a home for the last one but they didn't pan out and Matt said he didn't want just anyone having her. He then decided that since he got his boy kitten, I could have the girl kitten. There you have it. My mom has one kitten and we kept the other 2. We went and got tags for them and Matt named his kitten Tebow and since my kitten was black, orange, and white I named her Selanne. Not any female Ducks that I know so I just went with my favorite. So now here we are, the owners of not one but 2 kittens. And yes, we know they turn into cats. And yes I know that many of you (brinkerhoffs) are thinking eeewww gross but you can't judge because if Matt can go from "I don't care if they die" to letting kittens fall asleep on his chest within the span of 48 hours, I'm sure he wouldn't have been the only one had all you been around! They are just too frickin cute!

Matt with Tebow



Their first ever picture (Selanne aka Runt is on the left, Tebow, then Fluffy McChubsters on the right)


2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yeah, I'm not an animal person at all. I don't wish death or harm to them or anything, I just don't want them in my house. This may greatly affect my wanting to come and stay with you again. Just kidding, I can handle the animals for a few days! And yes, they do turn in to cats, lucky you, times 2!

Lou Anne said...

I guess a cat is better than a dog but my philosophy is no animals are better than one! Or in your case 2! Have fun!