At Brinkerhoff Christmas last year we decided that we needed to recreate a Brinkerhoff tradition of going to Idaho Springs for the 4th of July. And so a trip was born. We got up ridiculously early the Wednesday before and drove. And drove. And drove. We were feeling good so we thought, hey lets get to CO in one day! Not only did we tick off my grandpa (he had to change the sheets on the guest bed for no reason...Sorry!) but I was exhausted. Can I just say that I am super grateful for a 3 year old that can entertain himself and be super good in the car. He would even go all TJ on us and start making up songs in the back seat, as long as we weren't looking. We got into CO around 10:30 pm and Matt announced to his parents (and siblings via text) that all 4 of us got to CO safely. Yes that was the announcement that we are pregnant. Let's just say some people got it and some people didn't. =)
Thursday included errands and lunch with the Hincheys. Ellie is so frickin cute but we couldn't get her and Daniel to talk to each other, even after hanging out 3 times during the trip! Although by the end of lunch they were sharing Daniel's cars. Later that night we got to go to their place for snow cones. They are starting their own snow cone business and we were happy to try out some samples! Thursday night the Brinks II got into town late, and Friday was uneventful until the evening when we had the most awesome movie choosing experience (thank you TJ) and watched Goonies until the Smiths got into town.
Saturday morning the boys went golfing and Lindsay and I got to listen to Harvey the college student from England give us a "short" demonstration on some fantastic $600 books. I'm guessing we should have led with "We don't live in this state" since he wasn't going to ride his bike to California or Utah, but hindsight. He did say something pretty funny though. We said we were in town for the 4th and he said they don't really celebrate it "because, you know, we lost." After the boys got back the 5 of us girls went to Buffalo Wild Wings and then to get pedicures. We all got American flag-ish toes. I didn't get a picture at the salon but here's the picture of our toes. 
And then after we realized that we couldn't get our feet that close together without falling over, we wised up and just put one foot in.
After pedis, all the boys (including Daniel) plus me Natalie and Madison went to go see Transformers 3, or Big Talls as Daniel calls them. Turned out not to be our best idea bringing Daniel since we got there and all he wanted to see was Cars and then the movie was 2 and a half hours long so I ended up taking him out into the walkway to run for part of the movie.
Then on Sunday (glad we all remembered it was Sunday) we went to Sacrament Meeting and then chilled until the Thompsons got there for dinner and Nertz Tournament of Champions. I am happy to announce that after a hard fought battle, we the Brinks III finally dethroned the Smiths and were victorious!
Then it was the 4th. WHOO HOO! Lindsay went out front with Brooklyn, Reece, and Daniel and played with them in the morning (yes I totally jacked some pictures Lindsay!) I loved everyone in their festive shirts.


In the afternoon it was off to Idaho Springs with all 20 of us. Then we met up with John, Patty, Greg, and Patty K for dinner at Beau Jo's. So 24 in all. We got us some yummy pizza and then scouted a place to watch the fireworks.

You notice the girls are all patiently waiting for their food and smiling. Daniel has a mountain of food from the salad bar and still isn't happy. He totally ate 90% of that food too. Here's Everyone.
Our view for the fireworks. I'm not going to lie. It was kind of awesome.
Then time for the main event. Matt went to the candy shop and came back with a massive sucker for Daniel and a Cookie Monster so the little guy was ready for the show.

Then Tuesday, Waterworld. Or Disneyland Water according to Daniel. Where every ride was "That was fun ShooShoo!" I don't think many of us got many pictures but since I couldn't go on even the kiddie rides, I took my camera to Voyage to the Center of the Earth to get pics as everyone came out. That was also the last time I took out my camera. Lame, I know.
The Brinks II
I wasn't going to include this picture because of how the sun is making Julie's eyes look but then I realized I only had one picture of the Smiths...I figured you ladies could be twinsies.
The Smiths
Matt, Daniel, & LouAnne
Nani, Jackson, & Josh
Wednesday the boys went golfing again and it was also the night of Ali's baby shower. I did not take any pictures that night because I'm lame but I stole one from Lindsay anyways. We had good food and fun and Ali got so many cute outfits! We can't wait for baby girl Thompson next month! Huge shout out to Matt, Papa, & Phil for taking literally all the kids (minus Reece & Savannah) to dinner and Cars 3 so we could have the house to ourselves for the shower.

That night TJ flew back for work, Colton flew back in the morning and we all just chilled on Thursday. Friday we caravaned with Julie and Lindsay back to their place in Utah to pick up the Nertz trophy and hang with them that night. We watched a movie and Matt, TJ, and Colton went golfing again in the morning before we left on Saturday for home. We got home around 10 I think, completely exhausted but I would like to say that I did not get a single traffic ticket while driving on this road trip. Maybe that means Matt will let me drive again....
Now for the last chestnut. All week we had been trying to get Taylor's friends to go get us Dairy Queen. Literally everyone. Anyone he brought over we were like "Hey ____, go get us DQ!" Surprisingly enough, it never worked, not even on the Beloved Andrew. However on Wednesday night, Taylor was packing for his basketball camp and said that this was the only outfit he had (of course). We decided that deserved DQ. And a picture for all eternity and his wedding video.

In the words of Daniel - "WHOA! Mommy - WHOA!" I think that sums up what we were all thinking.



4 comments:
I am so glad that you included the story about Harvey, I had totally forgotten all about him! Great guy! It was such a great trip! It made me tired but it was all so very worth it! Can't wait for Thanksgiving in UT! It's gonna be awesome!
HAHAHAHA! I LOVED this post. Probably my favorite yet.
I forgot to mention how HOT I look in that picture from Water World! I know that everyone is so jealous of my beauty!
WHOA is right!! What a great time!! Loved having everyone here....
Post a Comment