As most of you know Daniel took swim lessons last year and he did a great job especially because now he can float and buy us a few seconds if he were to fall into water and we weren't paying attention or something. It was a tough experience to watch, but worth it, now this year we just began his refresher lessons and he remembers everything. He's not as good at it as he was at the end of last year, but he certainly has the basics down and still can float well. However, he hates it. He didn't hate it as much last year and maybe he just couldn't communicate that as well, but now he despises going. Once we pull up to the house where the lessons are he says "bye bye" and starts crying. When he is going through his lessons he asks "Out!?" and yells for "Daddy." It is heartbreaking to watch even though I know that the lessons provide an invaluable service and crucial seconds to us if something crazy were to happen.
Another thing that has been happening is that Daniel has 12 teeth now and is beginning to cut the sharp teeth in the bottom of his mouth, I'm lame and don't know what they're called. He has been running a fever and what not, things you would associate with the teeth, but then he has decided he rarely wants to eat. Over the past two days I could probably place all that he has eaten in the palm of hand. Today, he finally decided he wanted to eat and had a relatively good sized lunch. It's not so much that I think that he is starving, although I wish he would eat more, and he certainly is growing at an appropriate pace both weight and height wise, but it's just difficult to stomach. I think that is my biggest problem with him not eating because I feel like I am a bad parent or that I am doing something wrong when he doesn't eat. I let him feed himself, we give him good food like veggies and fruits, and we give him food we know he loves sometimes like nuggets and fries, and yet sometimes he just doesn't eat. Like I said I mostly feel like when he doesn't eat that it reflects on my ability as a parent. Anybody else feel this way?
Anyways, I will end this update post because I have to head off to swim lessons for the day. Awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I felt that way before, but now I have learned, through much fighting with him, that if he isn't hungry, then he isn't hungry. I might still make him eat like half of his dinner, but there are some nights that if I ask him if he wants dinner and he says no, then he is eating a PB&J at 8:00 before bed. And you know Nickolas is a big boy so he is not lacking any nutrients.
I totally understand how you feel with the eating. It is just maddening when your kids won't eat, but you just have to chill out and let them decide when they want to eat, because eventually they will want to eat. So sad that he hates his swim lessons so much, I would feel awful too! Both of you, hang in there!
I'm glad he's remembering what he learned in swimming last summer but sad that he hates it so much. Poor dude! Reece starts Monday...she's gonna FREAK!!!!!! As for the eating thing...its seriously all good. Its like I told you before...he is absolutely incapable of starving himself. And don't feel like its a reflection on your parenting because 1. All children go through hunger strike phases. Even the kids that have always been good eaters do it. Seriously...any parent you ask will tell you that their kid did the same thing. All 4 of mine did and Reece and Brady sometimes still do!!!!!! 2. You have NOTHING to feel bad about. Now, if you weren't offering him food then that would be a problem, but obviously you're not starving your child so just keep offering it to him and he'll eat eventually! Toddlers are stubborn, weird little dudes. And if you're THAT worried about his nutrition give him a chewable flinstone viatamin! You're a great dad and this too shall pass!!!!!!
Ditto to the above!! Can't wait to see the little dude again!
Post a Comment