Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Day of School! First Day of School!

It came. Our Daniel's first day of Preschool. Or Timmy Time School, as Daniel calls it. On Disney channel there's a show called Timmy Time where Timmy the lamb goes to school so when I told him that he was going to school like on Timmy Time, it became dubbed Timmy Time School. It's hard to believe he's old enough but his first day was Monday, September 19th. I took the day off of work to take him myself and Grammy & FAB came too. FAB even made him a sign (which of course he wanted to take with him into the classroom!). It's a preschool located at a high school through an ROP program so there were lots of "adults" there to talk to the kids and get them involved in activities. When we got there, Daniel was a little unsure about everyone and did not want to talk to anyone. One of the high schoolers brought Daniel his apple name tag and showed him that his name tag was Daniel too - they had the same name! My Daniel was not impressed. When I asked him what activity he wanted to do, he immediately lead me to the door outside where all the bikes and jungle gym were, which of course it wasn't time for. Instead, he opted for a table with 2 high school girls playing with colored pegs. I left with no problems. When I came back for him 4 hours later, they sang him a goodbye song and he gave them the dirtiest look like "I'll leave when I want to leave." What a spaz. We took him out to McDonalds for lunch and I asked him what he did and told me he went outside and played. When I asked him what he learned he said "No biting, no hitting, and no riding bikes on the rocks" in a sing songy voice. I said what and he said again "no biting, no hitting, and no riding bikes on the rocks." So of course, I'm thinking - crap how much trouble did you get into on your first day of school??? So I asked him if he bit anyone and his response was "no mommy, I no do that." We concluded that he was repeating the rules that he had learned and I confirmed it with his teacher. Any time that he was asked about preschool, that's what he told people. It's a pretty good thing to learn I guess. When he got up from his nap, he was coughing like crazy and as it turns out he had a runny nose the whole time at preschool. Great, I was the mom who sent her kid to school sick! So then he didn't go to school for the next 2 days, but luckily his cough and nose were in check for him to go to school on Thursday, where he then apparently learned that "R" says "ruh-ruh-ruh" since that's what he told FAB all afternoon when he got home. He had a rougher time going to school Thursday but once FAB was gone, he was fine. So I thought, I should be emotional, shedding a tear or two, and I totally wasn't like that. If anything, I felt guilty spending the next 3 and a half hours out with my mom and Becca. Like I was ditching! Anywhos here's some pictures from his first day.



Funny faces with FAB on the way to school


His first work of art.






In other Daniel news, about a week ago I was reading my scriptures out loud while Daniel was playing with his cars. It was the part in 1st Nephi where he breaks his bow and they don't have any food. Fast forward to tonight. Daniel brings me my scriptures and tells me he wants me to read him a story so I said ok and then he decided HE wanted to read the story so I let him. He opened them and started "reading" telling about how they "couldn't find no food! Oh my goodness!" Then it was my turn to read so I read the chapter where Nephi builds a ship and I explained to Daniel he was making a boat. To which he replied "um, how about he make a choo choo train? A Mickey Mouse choo choo train!" Ya, I'll have Nephi get right on that....

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh, I love that kid! Was he giving the teachers the dirty look that he used to always give me? I love that look! It won't take long before he isn't hesitant to go to school. He'll love it and ask when it's time to go all the time, like Brooklyn! And yeah, why didn't Nephi build a choo choo train, that would've been awesome! Oh wait, trains can't go over water, that wouldn't work!

Ali B. said...

What a smart kid remembering the Nephi story! Maybe he feels smarter than the high school kids and thats why he gives dirty looks! Love that kid!

Lauren said...

Love, love, love!! Can't believe our lil ones are so grown up! Where has the time gone?!?
Ah, FAB Love that too! :)
Ya, I think Nephi could do it! I'm sure he know's him some mickey mouse!!

Lou Anne said...

What a cutie! Can't believe he is in school! Does he go everyday!! I agree, he's probably smarter than the high school kids. And the dirty look? - priceless! Give him loves and kisses from LouLou!